JOB TITLE: Carpenter/Mason
RESPONSIBLE TO: Island Manager
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hours per week and upon request overtime
As a Carpenter, you will be responsible for overseeing all the logistics including the construction of a project. Duties may include creating work schedules for your team, and allocating responsibilities and overseeing the logistical requirements of the project
- Responsible for the construction and maintenance of the Research Station facilities and other infrastructures inclusive of the physical structure of the energy system as well as maintenance of field huts on the atoll.
- Assist with the transportation of building materials to construction sites
- Maintain a record on all construction and maintenance activities and report on any damage found on building, tools and equipment during routine maintenance
- Studies specifications in blueprints, sketches, or building plan to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required.
- Installs foundations, walls, floors, ceilings, and roofs using materials such as wood, steel, metal, concrete, plastics, and composites of multiple materials.
- Fits and installs window frames, doors, door frames, door hardware, interior and exterior trim using a carpenter’s level, plumb bob, and laser levels.
- Erects scaffolding and ladders for assembling structures above-ground levels.
- Shapes or cuts materials to specified measurements, using hand tools, machines, or power saws.
- Follows established safety rules and regulations and maintaining a safe and clean environment.
- Builds or repairs cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, or other wooden fixtures used in buildings, using woodworking machines, hand tools, or power tools.
- Removes damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools.
- Cleans up worksite debris after work is done.
- To assist in maintaining tools, workshop, outboard engine shed and generator room in clean and tidy condition and to update tool inventory with the supervision of the Senior Mechanic
- Participate in anti-poaching patrol and surveillance under the guidance of the Island Manager or other designated person
- Accompany and guide visitors on Aldabra and ensure that their conduct is environmentally sound and that they abide by SIF policies
- Enforce waste policies and conduct periodic clean-ups from any litter and marine debris which is not restricted to areas used by tourists and other visitors
- Carry out any other work-related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Capable of receiving and following instructions and communicating with co-workers
- Able to read and adhere to safety regulations and guidelines
- Attentive to detail and always alert to ensure safety
- Ability to comprehend schematic diagrams, blueprints, sketches, building plans and other specifications
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Diploma level of education in carpentry or construction OR successful completion of Post-Secondary Education in the field of carpentry or construction plus at least three to four years working experience in the construction/carpentry field.
Please note this vacancy is only open to Seychelles applicants. Apply for this post by sending your CV, and a cover letter explaining your capability and suitability for this position. Applications and enquiries on this position can be made at email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is 04/10/21.