JOB TITLE: Skipper
RESPONSIBLE TO: Island Manager
HOURS OF WORK: 40 Hours per week and upon request overtime
- Ensures the safety and security of all boats and their equipment at all times whether at sea or mooring and display a high standard of seamanship and boat handling.
- Liaises and plans the transportation of staff, residents and visitors, including tourists only after authorization by the Island Manager.
- Takes responsibility for the safety and good conduct of all passengers on board, whilst displaying a high standard of personal behaviour and leadership
- Ensures that the boats and equipment are maintained in a safe and seaworthy condition at all times and undertake servicing work on engines in conjunction with Senior Skipper and Senior Mechanic. Report any damage or loss immediately to the Senior Skipper/Island Manager.
- Submits monthly reports on the status of all boats and their equipment to the Senior Skipper/Island Manager
- Takes responsibility for the safety and good conduct of all passengers on board, whilst displaying a high standard of personal behaviour and leadership.
- Maintains and keeps updated records of all spare parts and repair materials.
- Assist with anti-poaching patrols and surveillance and the enforcement of the Nature Conservancy Act and all SIF policies
- Complies and update as and when necessary the Aldabra Maritime Safety Protocol to conform with all regulations issued by the Seychelles Maritime Safety Administration
- Encourages and supervisors the Junior Skipper and other boatman in all their activities and ensures the teaching of navigation, seamanship and boat handling skills for improvement of the latter
- Assists in additional duties to enable the smooth running, maintenance and upkeep of the research station, settlement, gardens, trails and field camps including the properly disposal of rubbish
- Due to the nature of the place, the Skipper is required to take up and fulfil duties beyond the scope of this job description
MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Maritime Training Certificate plus 3 years working experience in a relevant field and must possess a 60 miles coxswain certificate.
This post is open to Seychellois applicants only.
Apply for this post by sending your CV, a completed application form (can be found here or collected from our offices) and a cover letter explaining your capability and suitability for this position. Applications and enquiries on this position can be made at email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is 30/09/22