Context and Background
The Seychelles Islands Foundation (SIF) Communications Officer (CO) is responsible for facilitating SIF’s internal and external communication channels. SIF protects and manages Seychelles’ two UNESCO World Heritage Sites (Vallée de Mai and Aldabra Atoll) and the Fond Ferdinand reserve. The main aim of this position is to help raise awareness on the sites SIF manages, as well as equally communicating the role, effort, challenges and successes of SIF work (research, projects, operations and logistics, tourism, education and outreach, national policy review, participation in national and international engagements). The CO is based at the SIF Head Office on Mahé.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall responsibility of this position is to promote SIF’s mission and improve public and stakeholder perception of SIF through the development and implementation of an effective public communication and awareness raising programme for SIF. The CO is responsible to Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Communications and Outreach Coordinator (CC).
- Help ensure that all SIF communication materials are professional, well-written and accurate in detail, as well as appropriately pitched for the target audience and consistent in style.
- Help maintain SIF’s social media pages (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and third party sites (YouTube, LinkedIn, Tripadvisor)
- Help produce social media posts (photos and text and short/long videos) through communication (weekly basis) with staff at all sites by CO for editing, tagging and scheduling by CC. Material to be based on activities, news and events at all sites.
- Help maintain SIF website, providing regular website updates.
- Assist in the compilation of monthly newsletter articles. Articles to be collected through communication with staff at all sites by CO for editing by CC. Maintain newsletter subscriber list, updating and amending as necessary.
- Assist with SIF’s internal communications through emails, WhatsApp and by other possible means as direct by the CEO and CC.
- Assist the CC as well as the CEO, Science, Projects as well as Operations and Logistics departments in the promotion of SIF’s research, results and general work.
- In collaboration with relevant staff, develop publicity material for all sites, and any SIF projects and initiatives as requested.
- Assist the coordination of public awareness campaigns including, for example, improving awareness of the Vallée de Mai amongst Praslinois children, gaining public support for invasive species and restoration projects.
Education and Outreach
- Assist the Education and Outreach Officer at the Vallée de Mai and CC in the coordination and delivery of SIF’s Education and Outreach Programme.
- Assist with the preparation of activities to celebrate and mark environmental theme days/weeks/years and other environmental events.
- Assist in the organisation of outreach events and activities.
- Compile and keep detailed records of contacts for the SIF network of staff, supporters, associates and stakeholders as well as relevant local organisations.
- Ensure that electronic copies (and hard where appropriate) of published press releases, posters, banners are kept in an organised and accessible manner.
- Assist in the prompt follow up on communications with researchers, supporters, casual enquiries and tourists in the management of the SIF info email address.
- Minimum BSc (and preferably a post-graduate qualification) in a subject related to the post.
- Qualifications/experience in software programmes such as web design, graphic design, media and communications are recognised assets.
- Preferred to have some professional experience (three-six months) in communication/public relations in the public and/or private industry is required.
- Proven interest, awareness and preferably work experience in international and local environmental issues/conservation.
- Writing in different styles for different target audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience or willingness to acquire knowledge in website maintenance/management and graphic design.
- Professionalism – skills that indicate the capacity to achieve overall goals for a range of projects
- Communications – Excellent communication skills and effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate to a range of different audiences and via different media
- Teamwork and multi-tasking – ability to work with several people on different projects
- Commitment and diligence
- Fully computer literate in word processing, presentation, photographic, graphic design and web design programmes
- Fluency in English is essential, with Creole fluency/translation capacity preferable. Good knowledge of French and additional languages are assets.
The position is open to Seychellois applicants only.