Assistant Aldabra Scientific Coordinator
Assistant Aldabra Scientific Coordinator (AASC)
Aldabra Atoll, southern Seychelles
SIF staff on Aldabra
Aldabra Scientific Coordinator (ASC) / Director of Research and Conservation (DRC)
The hours of work will be non-standard and involve overtime
The Assistant Aldabra Scientific Coordinator (AASC) provides assistance and support to the Aldabra Scientific Coordinator (ASC) in all science and conservation programmes, and research staff management on Aldabra, although general in nature, are not all-encompassing as there are many unplanned duties that cannot be predicted or described here and which may change over time. AASC supports the ASC in the management of the SIF’s scientific/conservation projects on Aldabra, ensure that the research and conservation programmes including all research and monitoring and relevant aspects of other projects, are carried out efficiently, are standardised and produce high quality data reports and personnel management
Minimum BSc or equivalent in an environmental subject.
At least 2 years’ experience working in the environmental field, with at least one year coordinating and managing scientific projects including supervising staff and volunteers, data collection and management and communicating research at a high level
Preferably experience working on the Aldabra research and monitoring programme.
- Professionalism – Capable of organising multiple research and monitoring activities to achieve overall scientific goals; capable of setting a good example at all times to others.
- Planning, coordinating and monitoring – Ability to multi-task and follow priorities, to plan and coordinate assigned tasks and address technical problems.
- Communication – Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Teamwork – Ability to lead, manage, train and motivate staff and volunteers to achieve results
- Leadership – Ability and initiative to manage teams of staff and lead by example
- Respect for biodiversity – a genuine appreciation of and interest in biodiversity
- Commitment and diligence – Commitment to work diligently to protect Aldabra Atoll
- Fully computer literate – in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint
- Data management skills – ability to manage large datasets and extract relevant information
- Integrity – Honesty, a positive attitude and a sound work ethic are essential for this position.
- Attention to detail – ability to pay close attention to detail and be meticulous with data and follow-ups
- Flexible working hours- undertake work outside normal working hours
- Work life balance – ability to balance work priority with personal times
The salary of the position will be based on qualifications and other in accordance with the scheme of service for the position
Fluent in written and spoken English
Other languages will be an advantage
Interested applicants should send a CV and a cover letter addressing why they are interested in the post and how they meet the criteria to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is 14th February 2024