SIF Professor David Stoddart Scholarship
The late David Stoddart, OBE, was a British physical geographer known for his study of coral reefs and atolls. In the mid-1960s, he discovered great biodiversity and documented the huge tortoise populations on Aldabra atoll. His scientific work on its habitat was instrumental in stopping the construction of a British military airfield. For his years of devotion, we have named the SIF funded scholarship in his honour.
The Seychelles Islands Foundation (SIF) offers every year the Professor David Stoddart scholarship for Seychellois who wish to study a three-year Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Environmental Sciences at the University of Seychelles. Our aim is to increase capacity in the field of environment and conservation in the Seychelles to contribute to the protection of Seychelles’ UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
The full SIF scholarship includes:
- Full tuition fees
The successful applicant awarded the SIF Professor David Stoddart scholarship is required to sign a bonding agreement with SIF. This is an agreement stipulating the length of time the scholar will be working with SIF upon successful completion of the university course. The bond period will be calculated on the overall cost of training, in line with the government of Seychelles scholarship scheme.
Applications for the SIF Professor David Stoddart scholarship scheme are open every year in June, for a start date in September. Only one scholarship per year is available.
For the year 2022, the closing date for applications is 31st August 2022.
Criteria for applying
To be considered for the scholarship you have to meet the following criteria:
- A citizen of Seychelles – essential
- Accepted into the BSc Environmental Science at the University of Seychelles – essential
- Have successfully completed two years of Advanced Level studies or three years of work experience – essential
- Experience working in the environmental sector in Seychelles – preferred
- High interest in and enthusiasm for working in Seychelles biodiversity and conservation – essential
How to apply
Applicants shall make their application by providing the following documents:
- Letter of acceptance into the BSc Environmental Science at the University of Seychelles
- Detailed CV
- Cover letter addressed to the CEO of SIF outlining:
- Why you are the most suited candidate to receive the scholarship
- What would you bring back to SIF upon successful completion of the course
- Your aspirations for the future
- Copy of your Seychelles ID card
Kindly submit all documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop by our offices at La Ciotat Building, Mont Fleuri, Mahe. For more information please call +2484321735.