- Implement the monitoring and data collection programme and management as per the request of the Research Officer or other person designated.
- Participate in the alien species eradication programme as assigned by Research Officer or other person designated.
- Assist the Research Officer, Island Manager, visiting scientist and special visitors with all issues relating to nature conservation, science, education and tourism.
- Planning of camp visits and organize food supplies accordingly. To provide camp food list to the Island Manager on return from trip.
- Enforce the National Park and Nature Conservancy Act and Aldabra regulations and SIF policies
- Accompany and guide visitors on Aldabra and ensure that their conduct is in accordance with the all SIF policies.
- To care for sick, stranded or injured animals.
- Ensure the safety and security of all boats and their equipment at all times whether at sea or mooring and display a high standard of seamanship and boat handling.
- Execute the transportation of staff, residents and visitors, including tourists only after authorization by the Island Manager.
- Take responsibility for the safety and good conduct of all passengers on board, whilst displaying a high standard of personal behaviour and leadership.
- Ensure that the boats and equipments are maintained in a safe and seaworthy condition at all times and undertake servicing work on engines in conjunction with Skipper and Mechanic. Report any damage or loss immediately to the Skipper/Island Manager.
- To ensure that the fuel store and fish-weighing shed are kept tidy and well organised at all times and to also ensure that records of the fuel consumption/boat are kept.
- Maintain and keep updated records of all spare parts and repair materials.
- Submit monthly reports on the status of all boats and their equipments to the Skipper/Island Manager.
- Conduct anti-poaching patrol and surveillance as per the request of the Island Manager or other person designated.
- Help with the maintenance and up-keep of the Research Station facilities and equipments.
- Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of field camp, trails, scientific transects and other science and conservation programme related needs in the field.
- Assist in additional duties within the employment grade as well as to enable the smooth running, maintenance and upkeep of the research station, settlement, gardens, trails and field camps including properly disposal of rubbish.
- Due to the nature of the place the Ranger/Boatman is required and to take up and fulfil duties beyond the scope of this job description
Minimum entry requirements: IGSCE level or O-Levels plus 2 years working experience in a relevant field or successful completion of post secondary education, and must posses a coxswain certificate up to 10 nautical miles. Only Seychellois are eligible to apply.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
If you think you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application to the Administration & Human Resources Department, Seychelles Islands Foundation, P.O Box 853, La Ciotat Building or contact us here or by phone on 4321735 for enquiries. Application forms can be collected at our Head office on Mahé and at the Vallée de Mai on Praslin or downloaded here.