- To maintain the Research Station and settlement equipment and infrastructure in good and safe condition. This includes outboard engines, generators, compressor, desalination plant, pumps, air-condition units, radio communication systems, all other electrical/electronic equipment and water supply distribution system.
- To regularly monitor the performance of the PV system & batteries. To ensure maintenance on the PV plant as and when required (regular retightening of joints of the frame, ensure concrete basements are in good condition, if needed cleaning of solar panels). To maintain and keep record of servicing and refueling of the backup diesel generator. Keep the power house and its surrounding in good condition
- To report to the Island Manager regarding order of spares or replacements of equipment.
- To liaise with the Skipper over outboard maintenance and fuel stocks. The Mechanic is responsible for stocks of diesel and lubricating oil and should use this in order of arrival (i.e. oldest material first) advising Island Manager on stocks needed
- To maintain tools, workshop, outboard engine shed and generator room in clean and tidy condition, to update tool inventory and inform the Island Manager of breakages and loss
- To help with maintenance and upkeep of Research Station, Settlement and camps, facilities, library, laboratory and equipment
- Participate in anti-poaching patrol and surveillance under the guidance of the Island Manager or other designated person
- Accompany and guide visitors on Aldabra and ensure that their conduct is environmentally sound and that they abide by SIF policies
- To enforce all SIF policies relating to wildlife, plants and environment
- Enforce waste policies and conduct periodic clean-ups with field staff especially within those areas used by tourists and other visitors
- Carry out any other work related duties as may be assigned by supervisor
Minimum entry requirements: Diploma in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering or equivalent, or 2 year diploma with City and Guilds and three years experience in relevant field. Only Seychellois are eligible to apply.
The position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
If you think you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application to the Administration & Human Resources Department, Seychelles Islands Foundation, P.O Box 853, La Ciotat Building or contact us here or by phone on 4321735 for enquiries. Application forms can be collected at our Head office on Mahé and at the Vallée de Mai on Praslin or downloaded here.