- Assist the Skipper/Senior Skipper in ensuring the safety and security of all boats and their equipment at all times whether at sea or mooring and display a high standard of seamanship and boat handling.
- Assist in the transportation of staff, residents and visitors, including tourists, with the Skipper/Senior Skipper and execute only after authorization by the Skipper/Senior Skipper.
- Assist in ensuring the safety and good conduct of all passengers on board, whilst displaying a high standard of personal behaviour.
- Assist in ensuring that the boats and equipment are maintained in a safe and seaworthy condition at all times and undertake servicing work on engines in conjunction with mechanic. Report any damage or loss immediately to the Island Manger.
- Assist in maintaining and be responsible for the fuel store and fish-weighing shed, which should be kept tidy and well organised at all times. Maintain a minimum fuel stock for 2 months at all times and ensure timely ordering of the fuel quantities. Ensure that records of the fuel consumption/boat are kept.
- Assist in maintaining and keeping updated records of all spare parts and repair materials
- Comply with and update as and when necessary the Aldabra Maritime Safety Protocol to conform with all regulations issued by the Seychelles Maritime Safety Administration
- Comply with all SIF policies relating to wildlife, plants and environment and participate in anti-poaching patrols and surveillance as required, under the guidance of the Island Manager or other designated person.
- Assist in additional duties within the employment grade as well as to enable the smooth running, maintenance and upkeep of the research station and settlement including proper disposal of rubbish and scheduled beach clean-up and trail maintenance activities.
- Due to the nature of the location and position all staff may be required to take on and fulfil duties beyond the scope of this job description. These duties should be completed as requested by either the Island Manager or direct supervisor, Research Officer.
All SIF employees are expected to assist in adhering to and enforcing the National Park and Nature conservancy Act, Aldabra regulations and SIF protocols, policies and Code of Conduct. SIF is an equal opportunity employer and requires that staff behave in an appropriate and respectful manner at all times. All staff represent the organisation and even when off Aldabra are expected to behave in a respectable and professional manner.
- Graduate in Maritime studies and with one year experience working in relevant field.
- Must possess a coxswain certificate up to 10 nautical miles.
If you think you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application to the Administration & Human Resources Department, Seychelles Islands Foundation, P.O Box 853, La Ciotat Building or contact us here or by phone on 4321735 for enquiries. Application forms can be collected at our Head office on Mahé and at the Vallée de Mai on Praslin or downloaded here.