Context and Background
The Seychelles Islands Foundation (SIF) Communications Officer (CO) is responsible for developing and improving national and international communication channels for the two UNESCO World Heritage sites managed by the Seychelles Islands Foundation: the Vallée de Mai and Aldabra Atoll. The main aim of the position is to raise awareness at all levels of SIF’s work and the values of the two sites amongst Seychellois and the international arena. The Communications Officer will be based in the SIF Head Office on Mahé.
Duties and Responsibilities
The overall responsibility of this position is to promote SIF’s mission and improve public and stakeholder perception of SIF through the development and implementation of an effective public communication and awareness raising programme for SIF and the two UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Seychelles.
- Compilation and editing of SIF annual reports (using written sections and contributions from relevant staff members) by the end of June of the following year. The CO will compile, edit and follow up the design and printing process in collaboration with CEO and Science and Projects Programme Coordinator (SPPC).
- Compilation of monthly newsletters to be produced by the end of the following month. Material to be collected and written by CO for newsletter based on activities and communication with staff at both sites. Maintain newsletter subscriber list, updating and amending as necessary.
- Ensure PDFs of all newsletters and reports are uploaded onto the SIF website and circulated.
- Compile and produce an annual Communications, Education and Outreach report by the end of the first quarter of the following year.
- Plan and submit an annual workplan for the upcoming year of communications activities by the end of the current year.
- Maintain website and provide regular website updates to sections including News, Events and Job Vacancies.
- Update SIF social media pages on a daily (Facebook, Twitter) or monthly (Youtube) basis as appropriate. Material to be based on activities, news and events at both sites. CO to compile, edit and post content, and deal promptly and appropriately with all comments, questions or feedback on social media pages. Use initiative to improve and increase social media profile.
- Write articles for appropriate national and international publications to inform the public of SIF initiatives, projects, activities and results.
- Deal with all publicity and press enquiries and liaise with journalists/press agencies as appropriate; coordinate communications between these agencies and the relevant staff.
- In collaboration with relevant staff, develop brochures and publicity material for the two sites, and any SIF projects and initiatives as requested.
- Initiate and coordinate public awareness campaigns including, for example, improving awareness of the Vallée de Mai amongst Praslinois children, gaining public support for invasive species and restoration projects.
- Conduct or coordinate interviews about SIF activities for television and radio as appropriate and approved.
- Represent SIF at national and international public events, meetings, workshops and ceremonies, and give presentations as appropriate.
- Ensure that all SIF communication materials follow the style and branding of the organisation, and that all SIF logos are used appropriately.
- Ensure that all SIF communication materials are professional, well-written and accurate in detail, as well as appropriately pitched for the target audience and consistent in style.
Education and Outreach
- In collaboration with the Education and Outreach Programme Officer, coordinate the Education and Outreach Programme for the two UNESCO World Heritage Sites including educational displays and experiences in the Vallée de Mai and Aldabra for local and international visitors.
- Oversee and assist with the work of the Education and Outreach Programme Officer concerning outreach and educational activities with schools and local communities on Praslin.
- Edit and review EOPO monthly reports and other written communication materials as necessary.
- Coordinate appropriate activities to celebrate and mark environmental theme days/weeks/years and other environmental events for the two World Heritage sites and report on these.
- Compile and keep detailed records of contacts for SIF network of staff, supporters, associates and stakeholders as well as relevant local organisations.
- Ensure that electronic (and hard where appropriate) copies of all communication documents (e.g. newsletters, reports, leaflets) are kept in an organised and accessible manner.
- Follow up promptly on all communications with researchers, supporters, casual enquiries and tourists.
Minimum BSc (and preferably a post-graduate qualification) in a subject related to the post. Qualifications/experience in software programmes such as web design, graphic design, media and communications would be assets.
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in communication/public relations in the public and/or private industry is required
- Proven interest, awareness and preferably work experience in international and local environmental issues/conservation
- Writing in different styles for different target audiences
- Some international experience is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience or willingness to acquire knowledge in website maintenance/management and graphic design
- Professionalism – skills that indicate capacity to achieve overall goals for range of projects
- Communications – Excellent communication skills and effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate to a range of different audiences and via different media
- Teamwork and multi-tasking – ability to work with several people on different projects
- Commitment and diligence
- Fully computer literate in word processing, presentation, photographic, graphic design and web design programmes
Fluency in English is essential, good knowledge of Creole is preferable, and knowledge of French and additional languages are an asset.
The position is open to applicants of any nationality.
Apply today, the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.