- Ensures the safety and security of all boats and their equipment at all times whether at sea or mooring and display a high standard of seamanship and boat handling.
- Liaises and plans the transportation of staff, residents and visitors, including tourists only after authorization by the Island Manager.
- Takes responsibility for the safety and good conduct of all passengers on board, whilst displaying a high standard of personal behaviour and leadership
- Ensures that the boats and equipment are maintained in a safe and seaworthy condition at all times and undertake servicing work on engines in conjunction with Senior Skipper and Senior Mechanic. Report any damage or loss immediately to the Senior Skipper/Island Manager.
- Submits monthly reports on the status of all boats and their equipment to the Senior Skipper/Island Manager
- Takes responsibility for the safety and good conduct of all passengers on board, whilst displaying a high standard of personal behaviour and leadership.
- Maintains and keeps updated records of all spare parts and repair materials.
- Assist with anti-poaching patrols and surveillance and the enforcement of the Nature Conservancy Act and all SIF policies
- Complies and update as and when necessary the Aldabra Maritime Safety Protocol to conform with all regulations issued by the Seychelles Maritime Safety Administration
- Encourages and supervisors the Junior Skipper and other boatman in all their activities and ensures the teaching of navigation, seamanship and boat handling skills for improvement of the latter
- Assists in additional duties to enable the smooth running, maintenance and upkeep of the research station, settlement, gardens, trails and field camps including the properly disposal of rubbish
- Due to the nature of the place, the Skipper is required to take up and fulfil duties beyond the scope of this job description
Minimum entry requirement: Maritime Training Certificate plus 3 years working experience in a relevant field and must possess a 60 miles coxswain certificate. Only Seychellois are eligible to apply.
Apply today, the position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.
If you think you are the right candidate for the above position, please send your application to the Administration & Human Resources Department, Seychelles Islands Foundation, P.O Box 853, La Ciotat Building or contact us here or by phone on 4321735 for enquiries. Application forms can be collected at our Head office on Mahé and at the Vallée de Mai on Praslin or downloaded here.